Monday, January 19, 2009

The Most Perplexing Verse Ever

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."

I think that has got to be the most perplexing, frustrating, comforting verse in the Bible...at least it is for me right now. I mean, really, "Be still and know that I am God."...what am I supposed to do with that? There is no tangible way to be still and just know something. I mean yes, you can slow your daily pace, make time for God, for some people, God uses this verse to call them out of the daily grind of ministry--but for me it's not about that. And I don't what it is about. This verse has been coming up in conversations, devotions, class assignments...everywhere...for around 8 months and I just don't know what it is God is trying to tell me through it.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am God.

What does that mean? I know what the stinkin' English words mean, but what does it mean for me? There's such a comforting sense to the verse in the assurance that God is God and we are not--but at the same time what does that leave us to do?

Be still and know that I am God...

ok. and then.....?

No comments: