Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Take it to 11

Wow. It's been a while since I've updated. Since I last played, we've had another CMC Live and I sang with Luke on that set. However, the feedback from Warren and a few other people was that while our parts sounded good separately, together it just wasn't that appealing so I don't think I'll be singing with him anymore. But that's okay --it's all about trying new things out and not taking constructive criticism personally. This Thursday is our next show and I'm playing keys for Josh. I'll also be making my debut on tambourine as well.

Next week I'll be doing my own stuff again--this time it will be three songs and I'll be adding in background vocals. I'm planning on doing two original songs, and a song that Mike wrote that we'll perform in my set because it fits better with my style of music than his. One of the originals is something I co-wrote with Zach. I've never co-wrote before and that's been a really good thing for me I think. I wrote the lyrics and had some pieces of melody and he brought in the music and made some melody suggestions and it's turned into a really great song. I'm really excited because I'm going to be trying to do some more edgy rock sounds and its' going to be challenging because I'm really having to focus on my delivery and how I'm singing. For the style of music I want to be doing, my voice is currently too nice and pretty. So, my self-assigned homework is to listen to a variety of female vocalists and then do some experimenting with my voice.

Also--I'm doing one, if not two, songs without playing any instruments--I'm coming out from the piano. That's going to be a challenge as well just because I've always been behind the piano so it ends up being something I hide behind. But I think that will be a good experience for me.

I've been thinking about the difference between music serving me, and me serving others with my music. The different between emoting while performing and presenting while performing. I think until the last few days, I've only ever been concerned with what music is doing for me: how it's allowing me to process, me to feel, me to express. But I think I need to focus more on communicating and less on what I'm getting out of performing; otherwise I'm not connecting with the audience--and connecting with the audience is the whole point. It's hard though because my music is all so personal--there are stories behind everything I write and it's difficult to disconnect enough so that it's not all about what I'm feeling but stay connected enough to not be emotionally aloof--in order to connect I need to still feel. So. It's a lot of circular thinking about this but I'm really excited because I think figuring this aspect of things out will really help my performing.

Anyway. We're about to start recording soon I think and that's gonna be fantastic. Anyway, it's photo shoot time. See ya.

No comments: