Sunday, April 10, 2011

Understanding Obsession

Maybe it's because the weather has been incredible this week or maybe it's because I slept the perfect amount last night, but I am in a wonderful mood this morning. I spent last night recording Not Coming Home and it is turning out fantastic. Joe learned the song about ten minutes before we started tracking and we've got three solid guitar parts, some hand percussion, bass and a scratch vocal. Ah. It's gonna be awesome. It's almost Damien Rice sounding which leads to further confusion about what "my sound" really is--but it's a great song nonetheless.

This morning I went into the studio and sat at the console. It can be a bit intimidating-but I sat there and stared at all the flashing lights and then, I opened a ProTools file. And listened. And then I opened another one, and then another. For an hour I just sat there opening my files, listening to them, muting and soloing tracks. I felt like a magician--but I was really like a toddler. Anyway, sitting there, I understood why people become addicted to the studio. I understood why they are obsessed with getting as much time in the studio as they can. Suddenly, I feel obsessed with the studio and music. I'm getting closer to wanting music enough to throw myself into chasing after it 100%.

Such a good night and it will continue to be a good day becuase I'm leaving for a Fitz and the Tantrums concert in a hour. Mmmmm. This has been a good, good semester.

No comments: